Prayer – God has made it possible for every person to have the knowledge of how to pray.
- When a Christian is part of God’s family, prayer is the way we communicate with God.
- It’s a two-way street.
- We speak to Him and also, we are to listen to Him.
- Many people will talk to the Father but forget to listen while he talks to us.
- The speaking and listening exchange are what makes prayer a joint interaction.
Private or Joint Effort?
- Prayer can be a private conversation between just you and God.
- Or it can also take place when two or more people come together.
- In either case, we need to pray that something specific will be done.
- God has given power and authority to the Christians and when we stand together in unity, we can see more of God’s power released.
- And pray with the Word of God. That is, pray using God’s own words from the Bible.
Our prayers will be answered!
- In God’s timing, it will be done.
- We all would like our prayers to be answered immediately.
- But, God doesn’t work like that.
- He knows each and every person, and knows what is best for us at that time.
- When it seems like God doesn’t hear us, he does.
God Does Hear Our Prayers?
Yes, God does hear our prayers.
13And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
- Jesus told us that when we ask for something in his name, God will be glorified.
- And, whenever we use the name of Jesus, he will in turn, go before God for us.
- Then upon receiving what we ask for, also glorifies the name of God.
Thank God for hearing us
1 John 5:15
15And if we know that he hears us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
- Keep praying.
- Thank God for what he has done for us and what we are receiving.
- Acknowledge with thanks of what he is going to do for us in the future.
12Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you.
- When the Hebrew were held in captivity in Babylon, they prayed for God to help them.
- Jeremiah gives the captive their answer – I have listened and heard you.
- It is the same answer he gives to us today.
Perhaps there are reasons why we don’t get them answered.
- Philippians 4:6 – What does God want for us?
- 6Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.
- Are we asking according to God’s will?
- Are we praying for something for ourselves or to help God’s will on earth, be accomplished?
- We should instead, be thankful for what God does for us, everyday?
Don’t ask to satisfy your own lusts
3Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
- When we pray for something and don’t receive it, perhaps we are asking for the wrong thing.
- Are we asking for something to satisfy our own lusts. (Money, material things, etc.)
- God is attempting to get us out of our own desires and into things that will help accomplish his will for this earth.
James 4:7-8 – Ask God and wait on him.
7Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
8Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you. Cleanse your hands, ye sinners; and purify your hearts, ye double minded.
- We may ask God for something and then change our minds.
- Or we may ask God for something and then we head to others for suggestions.
- If we ask God, then we need to stick to God,
- We need to have faith and be thankful, regardless of the result.
Keep the Faith that God is looking after your prayer
1 John 5:14 – Believe that God has heard your prayer.
14And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
- We may go before the Father with no doubts.
- This means that when we ask God for things God listens to us every time we ask him.
- So, we know that he gives us the things that we ask from him.
- Important to remember! When we ask for something, is it aligned with God’s will?
Daniel 10:13 – The Enemy doesn’t want you to get your request.
13But the prince of the kingdom of Persia withstood me one and twenty days: but, lo, Michael, one of the chief princes, came to help me; and I remained there with the kings of Persia.
- Satan may be blocking our way.
- He will do anything to coax you away from the Father
So, once again please be aware that just because we pray, our prayers will not necessarily be answered. At least, not when or how we hope. We should be praying the will of God, not for our own desires. And be thankful for the greatest gift of all. That our names are written in the Lambs Book of Life!
Don’t have a Bible? Click here: www.biblegateway.com