Revelation 6:1-2 – First Seal – White Horse
Won Victory Over the Enemy
- 1: And I saw when the Lamb opened one of the seals, and I heard, as it were the noise of thunder, one of the four beasts saying, Come and see.
- 2: And I saw and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.
In Revelation 5:14 we read that the Living things and John were in heaven. Then in Revelation 6:1-2 John saw the horse and rider, which leads me to conclude that this event is now taking place in the throne room of heaven. The Lamb has just taken the scroll from the right hand of the one sitting on the throne. Following that, the 4 living things and the 24 elders bowed down before the Lamb. Thousands of angels appeared and all heaven and earth praised God and Jesus. All of this takes place in the throne room in heaven.
Following that, one of the living things summoned the first horse and rider to “come”. The living beast called them to heaven. Jesus will be opening the seals, one at a time, so it can’t be him on the first horse. If it were, who would open the rest of the seals?
So, I believe it is not Jesus riding the first horse.
- When Jesus does come back to earth, yes, he will be riding a white horse.
- The names: Faithful and True, refer to Christ, when on his white horse.
- He also has a name written on him that no-one knows.
- Whereas, the white horse summoned by the living thing, does not have a name.
- Also, when Jesus comes to earth, the armies of heaven will be following him.
- There is no-one following the rider in this scenario!
Some people believe that the rider may be the imposter, the Antichrist (Satan).
- For what reason would the living things send the Antichrist out from heaven?
- Who in heaven would give the Antichrist a crown to wear?
- Why would the Antichrist go out to defeat the enemy, to win the victory for heaven?
- No, I don’t think the rider is the Antichrist either.
Jesus opens the 1st Seal
1. Then I heard one of the four beastssay in a noise like thunder,“Come and see”.
- Who are the 4 beasts?
- We just saw them in Revelation 4:6-9.
The 4 beasts’ (living things) main jobs are to declare the holiness of God, lead in worship and in the adoration of God. However, it appears they also hold a certain amount of power.
- Each of the beasts call out to the horses to “come”, the horses are immediately present.
- We know which beast calls out which seal.
- Seal #1 – “one of the four living things” (Lion representing kingship).
- #2 – “the second living thing” (Calf/ox representing strength).
- #3 – “the third living thing” (Face of a man representing highest creation).
- #4 – “the fourth living thing” (Flying eagle representing the Jewish symbol).
- Revelation 4:6-9 tells us what they each represent.
The first Living Thing steps forward
The beast with the face of a lion steps forward and brings John’s attention to a white horse and rider. The symbol of a lion can represent both Jesus and Satan (1 Peter 5:8) because both have the lion’s characteristics.
Christ, having majestic power is the symbol of a lion. Whereas Satan is the lion who walks about roaring, as a lion. He uses his powers in a destructive manner. Both have the following characteristics.
- Majestic. (Satan to his own people)
In the Bible, the colour white is usually associated with:
- Purity Light
- Goodness Heaven
- Brilliance Illumination
- Cleanliness Sterility
- Spirituality Perfection.
2. On the first horse, the white one was a rider with a bow. He was given a crown and then went forth conquering and to conquer.
Although Christ will return on a white horse – this is not Jesus Christ. I deem this horse and rider represents The Holy Spirit sent out by Jesus, with the Word of God.
- We know that Jesus is in heaven opening the seals.
- Could it be the Antichrist?
- Probably not, as this horse and rider were sent out from heaven by a living being.
- I doubt the Antichrist would have been given a crown from heaven.
- I also doubt he would be sent out from heaven to do the Lord’s work.
- This rider was sent out to defeat the enemy (Satan) and win the victory for God.
- Why would the Antichrist want to do that? He wouldn’t!
Why was the Holy Spirit and Word of God sent out?
- The assignment that had been planned since the foundation of the world has now been achieved.
- Jesus’ death, crucifixion and resurrection were successful.
- Then Jesus returned to heaven as the “winner”.
- Jesus then sent the Holy Spirit to earth at Pentecost.
- We know from history that the Word of God spread quickly after Pentecost.
- With the Good News message – Jesus died so that we could live!
What is the Holy Spirit’s Mission in Revelation 6:1-2?
The Seals are about to bring much devastation to the world.
- First the Holy Spirit came to earth to empower the apostles. Why?
- So they could take the Word of God and the Good News of Jesus out into the world.
- Understanding God’s Word will prepare people for when the following Seals begin.
The Holy Spirit’s next assignment is to defeat the enemy and bring victory.
- He will accuse and convict people of their sin with hope that the unrighteous will become Christians.
- James 4:17 – So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.
- See also Malachi 3:18, Isaiah 5:20, Matthew 6:23 http://www.biblegateway.com
|God gave each person ever born an innate sense of morality. Every person knows right from wrong!|
Satan begins to lose
- And with the conversion away from Satan, people (now Christians) will read the Word, have like-minded friends, go to Church, etc.
- As Christian’s, they will have a better understanding of why bad things happen on earth.
- Christians (even today) are not exempt from the troubles but, can have a better understanding of why they are happening.
- The one making bad things on earth happen are the result of sin on earth, caused by Satan!
The Holy Spirit will teach righteousness, love, peace, and joy, conquering the world of sin.
- Immediately upon salvation, the Holy Spirit will comfort and live in the now righteous person.
- He begins guiding and becomes an advocate, helper, and counselor for the righteous.
- He is not just telling people about sin, he is making them understand that sin does exist.
- And that the tragedy in our world is because of Satan, not God.
- The Holy Spirit will live inside all Christians until the rapture, when we are taken to Heaven to be with God.
Holy Spirit is God
The Holy Spirit has always been 1/3 part of God and has been since before the beginning of time.
- We see that the Holy Spirit had an incredibly special job to do after Jesus won on the cross.
- He was sent at Pentecost to be with the apostles.
- Following Pentecost, the Church Age began.
- In the same manner, I believe the Holy Spirit was given the task to advance what Jesus had started.
- He will be the guiding force of the birthing pains!
Has a bow and given a crown?
So, if Jesus was the conqueror (at the cross), why does the Holy Spirit have a bow and is given a crown?
- Through-out the first 4 seals, the Holy Spirit will be conquering sin and winning souls.
- The bow will be used to administer the arrows against the people.
- The arrows are ready and in position to be used at a time needed.
- The crown given to the Holy Spirit shows His kingdom and positional power.
Regarding the Arrows
The 1st rider is carrying an archer’s bow.
- However, there doesn’t seem to be any arrows.
- Is a bow useful without arrows?
Bit of back history
Just before Moses death, God had him write a song and then read it to all his people. They were then taught to sing it as a song. God had given them a pre-warning.
The song explains in detail, how God’s people were heading into the new land and how they would begin to worship idols. Because of this, God would send one of Israel’s enemies to kill all those who were not living by the law and, worshipping idols. They ignored the warnings, and it happened as God said it would. As a result, God used the enemy to come against the covenant people. The arrows were shot upon them, just as Moses had written they would. The people of God, had not heeded the warning Moses sent in his final days.
Deuteronomy 32:23-25 KJV
- 23 I will heap mischiefs upon them; I will spend mine arrows upon them.
- 24They shall be burnt with hunger, and devoured with burning heat, and with bitter destruction: I will also send the teeth of beasts upon them, with the poison of serpents of the dust.
- 25The sword without, and terror within, shall destroy both the young man and the virgin, the suckling also with the man of gray hairs.
We see exactly what type of arrows God used against his people.
- Burning heat.
- Bitter destruction.
- Teeth of beast.
- Poison of serpents.
- The sword.
So yes, the rider of Seal #1 has arrows that he can use!
- God wanted his covenant people to stay faithful to him, so he used the arrows via enemies of Israel.
- Furthermore, God still wants all people to be faithful to him and to turn to Jesus.
- Therefore, the Lord God will use the arrows, helping people to see the light.
- People still have a choice as to how they want to live. God will not force anyone to come to him.
- God is the creator of everything good and Jesus is the way to salvation.
Recap – who is the Rider for Seal #1? Revelation 6:1-2
- I believe that he is the Holy Spirit with the Word of God, being sent to earth at Pentecost.
- The horse and rider have a job to do – represent Jesus Christ and the Gospel.
- The Holy Spirit has been living on earth since Pentecost.
- And, is still living inside born again Christians and saved Jews, even today.
- In the 21st Century Bibles are printed at a rate of about 80 million per day.
- Guinness Book of Records claim that between 5-7 billion copies have been sold in total.
- Therefore, in my opinion, the Holy Spirit is doing his job very well.