Exodus 13:21-22 – God is Ever Present
- 21 And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of a cloud, to lead them the way; and by night in a pillar of fire, to give them light; to go by day and night:
- 22 He took not away the pillar of the cloud by day, nor the pillar of fire by night, from before the people.
- Bible KJV Read complete chapter here: http://www.biblegateway.com
Exodus 13:21-22 Exodos is a Greek word meaning departure. The Biblical Exodus means the “Book of Departure from Egypt”. The Book of Exodus tells us of the Jewish people’s escape from Egypt and the start of Israel as a covenanted nation.
- The Biblical meaning of the word pillar means stability and the presence of God.
- Broken pillars. The meaning of a broken pillar is death and mortality.
- An example of a broken pillar: Lot’s wife turned into a pillar of salt, because she craved the sinful way of life and looked back at her town, yearning to go back to it.
In the book of Exodus, Moses reminds people that God looked after the children of Israel, even while they were in the desert . He gave them shelter, protection, food, drink and everything they needed to live in the barren area.
Why were the Hebrew people sent to the desert for so long?
God needed them isolated to the point where they had to become totally dependent on him. In that way, they would see him as the one true God who could care for them completely, even in places like a desert.
While the people were wandering through the desert, they followed a pillar of a cloud that God sent. When the cloud moved, they moved. When the cloud stood still, they stayed in place.
Did the cloud do anything else; other than lead them?
Yes it most certainly did! In the day; the cloud covered them from the sweltering hot sun during the day and, in the night; it burned as a pillar of fire, keeping them warm.
It was a constant reminder that God was with them and would always look after his children. As long as they were faithful to God, He would always be faithful to them.
My prayer for Exodus 13:21-22
You are the one and only true God. You love us, nurture us and carefully watch over us each and every day. Some days we see you working in our lives and sometimes we don’t. Regardless you are always there.
It seems like the children of Israel felt you weren’t with them during their time in the desert, even though they were right in the midst of your miracles. You fed them, their shoes never wore out, and they were always clothed. The people were kept safe and looked after by you. And yet, still they murmured and complained. Unfortunately, today is no different.
Lord, your miracles happen so often, that many times we take it all for granted. Every day you keep the earth and people under your surveillance. You provide for us in ways that we aren’t even aware of anymore. You bestow to us the sun, rain, soil, water, knowledge, etc. Without you Father God, where would be?
Please Lord, help me to remember each and every day to thank you for all your gifts to me. Never let me forget that you are my one and only provider. Thank you Father.
In the name of my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ, I pray. Amen.
God is always with you. Psalm 69:1-6